Thursday, February 7, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year!

Today marks the first day of the new moon and therefore Chinese New Year. This is one of China's most celebrated holidays. There is a lot of time spent cleaning and cooking for families. They also honor family members who have died in the past year. It makes me think of Lillie Mei's parents and whether this day reminds them of their daughter. Firecrackers are also used to ring in the new year.

We celebrated by having Chinese take-out! Lillie Mei at her favorite, dumplings! Lillie Mei and I also watched Nickelodeon's new show, Ni Hao-Kai Lan, which is very much like a Chinese version of Dora. It was cute and teaches a few Chinese words. I watched while Lillie Mei played--she's not very interested in the TV except in the car. We also have a little book for Lillie Mei about the holiday. In China, the children get money in red envelopes. I have little red bags for the kids that I'm going to put a small amount of money in--I don't want to set any great expectations. I hope we can continue to have some traditions from China so Lillie Mei can have a little understanding of her culture. So Happy New Year--BTW it's the year of the rat :)


YUMMY!

We're finally ready to try Chinese food again.

How do these things work?

Our very own tradition--wearing the valentine bucket on your head!

1 comment:

Gina Lewis said...

I continue to be amazed at how quick Lillie Mei is growing up and changing. I think it's great that you guys help her keep her roots, so one day she knows some of her culture. I still love being able to check the blog and see what is going on in your lives.
Gina